- This event has passed.
November 7, 2019 @ 8:30 am - 8:00 pm
2019 Technology + The Law Symposium
Hosted by Michael Best and Duke University Office of Licensing & Ventures
Please join Michael Best, the Duke University Office of Licensing & Ventures, and thought leaders from government, academia, and industry for a full-day conference covering the intersection of technology and the practice and application of the law.
Session topics include:
- Blockchain technology and its many uses,
- Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies,
- 3-D printing and additive manufacturing,
- Launching an innovation-driven start-up, and
- Practical legal and common-sense advice about maintaining a balance between innovation and privacy laws and regulations.
Confirmed speakers and moderators include practitioners from Michael Best and Michael Best Strategies, as well as:
- Joshua Arant, Founder & COO, Mako Medical
- Jeff Bedard, President & CEO, Crown Laboratories, Inc.
- Bruce Bradford, Senior Intellectual Property Counsel, GE Aviation
- Bennett Collen, Founder & CEO, Cognate
- Heather Dahl, Executive Director & CEO, The Sovrin Foundation
- Deborah Gerhardt, Associate Professor of Law, UNC School of Law
- Estay Greene, PharmD, Director of Pharmacy Programs, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Thomas Irving, Partner, Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner
- Shawna Cannon Lemon, Ph.D., Co-Managing Shareholder, Stanek Lemon Crouse + Meeks, PA
- Sheila Mikhail, President and Co-Founder, Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, Inc.
- Micky Minhas, VP, Associate General Counsel, Patents, Microsoft
- Bob Morgan, Member of the Illinois House of Representatives and Partner, Benesch Friedlander Coplan & Aronoff LLP
- Lucas Osborn, Associate Professor of Law, Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law
- Jennifer Prioleau, Division Counsel, HP Inc.
- Honorable Sarah Bloom Raskin, Rubenstein Fellow, Duke Law
- Robin Rasor, Executive Director, Office of Licensing & Ventures, Duke University
- David Ridley, Dr. and Mrs. Frank A. Riddick Professor of the Practice, Duke Fuqua School of Business
- Daniel Tardiff, Chief Legal Counsel & Corporate Secretary, Alliance Rx Walgreens Prime
- Linda Tigges, General Counsel Data Center Group, Lenovo USA
- Jeremy Unruh, Director of Public & Regulatory Affairs, PharmaCann LLC
- Jason Williams, President & CEO, PRTI
- Timothy Wilson, Director, Patents SAS Institute Inc.
The day will feature a series of keynote presentations and interactive panel discussions appropriate for in-house counsel and business leaders. The sessions will cover a wide range of emerging technologies and their impact on the law including:
- Intellectual property implications for artificial intelligence
- Blockchain technology and its many uses
- The latest on cryptocurrencies and how they are regulated
- 3-D printing and additive manufacturing
- The current state and future of the medical cannabis and hemp industries in the tobacco belt
- Launching a healthcare start-up
- Innovation in drug pricing
- Protecting data in the U.S. and abroad
- Patent year in review
- Diversity and inclusion in innovation
Cocktail Reception following from 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
For more information, please contact the Michael Best Events team.